Saturday, May 16, 2015

Flamenco Sketches Legacy

I can think of no other jazz musician more profoundly influenced by Miles Davis than Chris Botti.  Although Miles Davis's "My Funny Valentine" was Chris Botti's ultimate inspiration to pursue the trumpet as a career (Wikipedia), the relaxed style created by Miles Davis resonates in Chris Botti's rendition of "Flamenco Sketches" as performed live from Boston in 2008.

In my opinion, Miles Davis and Chris Botti are unique.  I find that Miles Davis is peaceful in tone - a sense of soothing loss in sound.  On the other hand, I find that Chris Botti is emotional in tone - a sense of attachment to each note.  Yet when Chris portrayed "Flamenco Sketches," he captured the essence of Miles Davis - a powerful transition.

Let me throw you a curve ball.

Listen to Kind of Blue - Miles Davis.  Listen to Italia - Chris Botti.  What will you feel?  Will you notice a difference in musical mood?  I own both albums, so I will let you answer these questions.

Consider a purchase.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment