Saturday, March 31, 2018

Always Duran Duran

Dear readers and passersby,

I have a confession.

I am Bipolar.  My mood swings are akin to a pendulum - there is either mania or depression and there is never a standstill.  I have been admitted eight times since my diagnosis in 2003.  My last stay was in 2015 for severe depression and, yes, attempt.  I am now open to discussion about my mental state, but this was once not possible.  I was extremely unstable from the day I was diagnosed to my mid-20s when finally I was able to safely cope. 

Mental illness is devastating and there is no cure.  I can only hope that in my lifetime there will be the possibility of a cure.  I pray that in the generations following me there will be a cure. 

The reason why I turn to Duran Duran so often on Set List is because the lyrics, instrumentals, and overall tone behind every song I post have meaning that I can relate to.

For example, "Save a Prayer" is best for when a prayer is in need.  "Lonely In Your Nightmare" is best for when not feeling alone in dark times.  The Astronaut album is self-explanatory - hence posting "Reach Up For the Sunrise" and "What Happens Tomorrow" so often over the past several years.  I personally would not recommend "Falling Down" or the music video for the song.  I do enjoy "The Valley" and the very brief moment of instrumental silence that the band must have known would spark intrigue among fans.  I was not a fan of Paper Gods.  My first concert experience was Red Carpet Massacre - an album I mostly enjoy.  All You Need Is Now came out when, ironically, Set List debuted.  For this reason, I love the song "AYNIN" (the band seemed eager to abbreviate the title).  I will always remember posting a leaderboard banner at the top of the blog as a means of promotion for the album.  Astronaut was first in my now extensive album collection.  I will always remember watching the band for the first time on Good Morning America in 2005 - a cold New York day for an outdoor concert. 

And so my point - Duran Duran slows the pendulum.  "Planet Earth" is my go-to when I need to slow down mania or reduce depression.  Duran Duran songs will never stop the pendulum movement, but, well, always Duran Duran.

No comments:

Post a Comment