Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Two for Two Tuesday - Edition 1

A well-known radio station in Chicago played two for two Tuesdays every week.  The dj would play two favorites by musicians every Tuesday.  The station was sadly bought by a Christian radio airing and on the last day, all employees were gone and the remainder of the day was automated.  I thought I would be creative by launching a new weekly edition - Two for Two Tuesday.

Today highlights Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Part 1 - "Was"

Album - Live On (October 1999)
Album Genre - Blues
Album Status - #52 on The Billboard 200 ... U.S. Gold
"Was" Genre - Mainstream rock

I am torn in agreement with "Was" being classified as mainstream rock.  The profound drum beat and electric guitar I can see being mainstream rock.  Yet, the overall tone from opening the song to closing the song in a sense of experiencing the U.S. Southern Gulf makes me think of the blues.  I love the song as rock and would say, as a compromise, being blues rock.  Alas, this is just my opinion.

Part 2 - "Nothing But the Night"

Album - Lay It on Down (August 2017)
Album Genre - Blues
Album Status - #34
"Nothing But the Night" Genre - Blues

I stumbled upon "Nothing But the Night" on YouTube the other day and have a new love in my Kenny Wayne Shepherd favorites list.  I have not listened to the entire album yet, so my opinions are not fully developed.

Two for two Tuesday - Edition 1

As always,
Play it!

No comments:

Post a Comment