Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Wednesday Once Over - Edition 1

In the post, Set List - It's Just One of Those Days, I wrote about genres and songs that best define any given emotion I am feeling.  When I feel intense, I want loud.  When I feel down, I want simple and soothing.  There were two songs that immediately stood out - "Eruption" and "In the Air Tonight."  And so in today's first edition of Wednesday Once Over, I thought I would go into more detail about both.

"Eruption" (Wikipedia source)

- guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen
- "one of the greatest guitar solos of all time"
- leads into "You Really Got Me"
- both played together on radio stations
- album - Van Halen

 
 
 
 
 
"In the Air Tonight" (Wikipedia source)
 
- Phil Collins ... Debut solo single and lead single on debut solo album, Face Value (release January 1981)
- No. 2 on UK Singles Chart
- No. 1 in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and Sweden
- No. 19 on Billboard Hot 100 in the United States
- Certified Gold by RIAA with 500,000 copies sold
- "Signature song"
- "...especially famous for his climactic drum break..."
- "...the drums...setting the template for all the Eighties drum songs after that..." (The full quote by Stuart Maconie can be found in the Wikipedia link.)
(Side note - Roger Taylor of Duran Duran referenced "In the Air Tonight" during the filming of the Rio documentary.)
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment