Music, Fashion, Culture - Set List

I knew Set List would be my career with the first post I published in 2010 & my love for Set List will remain always. If possible, please donate to, well, my career through PayPal (link on side). Comment. Converse. Without you, I would not be.

Sunday, June 9, 2019

The History of ARIA



When I research album certification, I can guarantee the United States (RIAA) and UK (BPI) on the list.  I can generally guarantee France (SNEP) as well.  There is one country, however, that is always on the list - Australia.

In this post, I am focusing on the Australian Recording Industry Association - or simply ARIA.

ARIA was founded in 1983 by the record labels EMI, Festival, CBS, RCA, WEA, and Universal.

ARIA Purpose -
Collection, administration, and distribution of music licenses and royalties

ARIA History -
EMI (Universal Music Group incorporated)
Festival Records
CBS (a.k.a. Sony Music)
RCA (Part of Sony Music)
WEA (a.ka. Warner Music Group)
Polygram (a.k.a. Unversal)
---------------------------------------------
Now includes smaller record labels
------------------------------------------------
As of 1987, ARIA hosts the ARIA Music Awards
"recognize excellence and innovation in all genres of Australian music" (Wikipedia)
----------------
As of 1988, ARIA Hall of Fame ceremony
"honors Australian musicians' achievements that have had a significant impact in Australia or around the world" (Wikipedia)
--------------------------------------------------------------
As of 2002, ARIA No. 1 Chart Awards
"recognize Australian recording artists who reached number one the ARIA albums, singles and music DVD charts" (Wikipedia)

ARIA Certification (Album)
Gold - 35,000
Platinum - 70,000
Diamond - 500,000

ARIA Certification (Single)
Gold - 35,000
Platinum - 70,000
(Diamond - N/A)

ARIA Certification (Music DVD)
Gold - 7,500
Platinum - 15,000
(Diamond - N/A)

(Source - Wikipedia)

My take away -
The history of ARIA is similar to global music certification associations - with foundation by major music companies and representation of several smaller labels.  The certification process is similar as well, although in my opinion I find Gold and Platinum certification to be much lower than other associations.  The RIAA has truly set a profound standard.

My greatest take away, though, is the appreciation of the ARIA No. 1 Chart Awards - a unique honor local to Australia as opposed to worldwide recognition of top achievement.  The ARIA No. 1 Chart Awards is personalized and therefore more meaningful to those who achieve the award.



No comments:

Post a Comment