Sunday, October 11, 2020

Inspired

Inspired is about anything music that holds personal meaning to the listener, especially for emotional reasons that inspire positive hope and outlook.

In this edition of Inspired, my inspiration is "Celebration" by Kool & The Gang.


"Celebration" -
Most recognized song from the 1980 album, Celebrate!
No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100
No. 1 on Billboard Dance and R&B Charts
No. 7 in the UK

Genre considered - Post-Disco

Certified Silver in the UK
Certified Platinum in Canada and the U.S.


In 2001, at the age of 18, I started college with full intent on a four-year completion.  

I began my formal studies at a local community college to receive my Associates.  September 2001 to December 2003 - A bit longer than intended.  

I applied to three universities as a transfer - Hofstra University, Loyola University Chicago, and the University of Illinois.  All three accepted me and two offered a scholarship.  I ultimately chose LUC.

My course load was heavy and I could only handle so much, so I dropped to part time and took some time off on occasion to rest my stressed brain.  This slowed down my four-year completion plan.

I struggled with most of my classes, especially with regards to topic.  I was relieved to receive B's and C's (where as at the community college I was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa, completed with honors, and was offered to speak at the 2003 commencement).

On May 9, 2008, I crossed the stage when my name was announced.  Seven years instead of four.

My time as an undergraduate was partially spent in psychiatric wards, causing me to slow my academic pace.  When I was able to catch up, my desired time frame to graduate fell through.  I was exhausted.

But I did it.  I finished my Bachelor's.  Cap and gown.  Pomp and circumstance.  Graduation fair.  All because I did it.  

So celebrate I did...

...Except I was not quite done with my formal education - graduate school.  I spent two years at Loyola's Institute for Paralegal Studies, from August 2008 to October 2009.  Seven years as an undergraduate when I was only going to study for four.  An additional two years of studies...toward a career I would never know.

But I did it.  I finished my post-bachelor's Certificate in Paralegal Studies whether it would go to use or not.

On a Monday evening in October 2009, I came home to festive decorations honoring the absolute final end of my education.

So celebrate I did.

"Celebration" - Inspired

No comments:

Post a Comment