Thursday, January 27, 2022

Set List Journal - Launch Entry


On this Thursday where normally I would be sharing Grammy Hall of Fame albums (and soon would share Grammy Hall of Fame singles), I have come to learn that my connection to the Grammy website is unsecured and dangerous if I bypass the warning.  And so instead Thursdays will be journal entries with, of course, music as entry topics.

In this launch edition of Set List Journal, I am reminiscing my early "duranie" days.  

I was only ten years old when I first heard "Ordinary World."  I was a bit too young to understand the meaning behind the lyrics to every song on the album, so I shelved the thought of a purchase until another time.

I was 21 years old when I came across "Reach Up For the Sunrise" and this time I was not too young.  A purchase was now a must.

The Astronaut album has special meaning to me beyond being my first album in what is now a very long collection.  Janet was my Grammy.  She was my father's mother as well as my aunt's.  She led a long and privileged life with wealth always at her doorstep.  She was, nonetheless, my grammy.  I once told her of my love for Duran Duran and the Astronaut album.  I was nervous and embarrassed to admit because who are they to her.  She laughed off my awkwardness and insisted on buying a copy for the upcoming holidays.  I was in shock and let's leave it at that.

Every time I listen to any of the songs on the album, I think of her.  She passed away in November 2021 at the age of 96.  We did not have a close bond but I did love her.  In the only way she knew to love me was with such a gesture as Duran Duran.

She used to call me love duck.  I will always call her Grammy.

Signing off for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment