Thursday, March 17, 2022

Set List Journal - Entry No. 8

There are three songs by Duran Duran that bring me down when I am already in a state 0f depression - "Ordinary World," "Lonely In Your Nightmare," and "Falling Down."  The irony, though, is that all three songs offer the notion that when devastated by a life circumstance...never alone.  I feel the hope within each song that things will get better because they just have to.  Duran Duran keeps that mindset noted.

In Set List Journal - Entry No. 7, I shared my interest in "Lonely In Your Nightmare."  "Let me in" is a partial lyric from the song to which I never feel alone.

In this journal entry, I am sharing my interest in "Falling Down."

"Falling Down" inspiration -

In 2007, Britney Spears faced severe press scrutiny and questionable mental health issues.  Justin Timberlake, her ex-boyfriend, took to her concerns when writing "Falling Down."

The music video for "Falling Down"  focused on models facing rehab and the Duran Duran members acting as doctors and therapists.

As a side note, the decision to shoot the video in the Los Angeles based Linda Vista Hospital was not the best.  Linda Vista is notoriously haunted in a sketchy part of L.A. with gang members frequently being patients.  The hospital has since been converted into apartments that won't necessarily make the hauntings stop just because.

Inspiration and notes of intrigue aside, "Falling Down" has something to offer because it just does.  "Could I find someone out there to help me?" is a lyric that asks for help and support in difficult situations.

As you can see, darker lyrics to Duran Duran songs can in turn give me hope...and that means something.

No comments:

Post a Comment