Music, Fashion, Culture - Set List

Thursday, August 1, 2024

Musical Memories - "Electric Barbarella" Duran Duran

"Electric Barbarella"

29th single
Single from Medazzaland
The single and album were released in the U.S. in 1997.
The single was released on Greatest in the UK in 1999.

"Electric Barbarella" was inspired by the 1968 film, Barbarella.
Duran Duran's band name was inspired from a character in the film, Durand Durand.  

After edits to the music video were made and then released, the song had since dropped from the charts.  Too late.

Personnel -
Simon Le Bon
Nick Rhodes
Warren Cuccurullo 

Musical Memories
"Electric Barbarella" is in my iTunes library yet I rarely listen to the song because it doesn't always come up in play rotation.  

However, some years ago I was looking into my library on my debut iPod (so way long ago) and paused at a few songs with different beats that I could move to - from warming up to intense aerobics to cooling down to a stop.  I created an exercise log with these songs and actually lost some weight after awhile.  One of the songs chosen was "Electric Barbarella."

Yesterday, I did the same - create an exercise playlist.  The peak of the workout is "Electric Barbarella," for  its intense beat, lyrics, and volume.

iPods have evolved over the years.  First to come up were the technology classics...now relics.  Now the iPod can do everything but make and take phone calls.  I miss the classic design but do so much more with the upgrade.

"Electric Barbarella" is a musical memory because it takes me to an emotionally happy and peaceful time in life, from home to college/grad school completion to finding where I want to be in life.

"Electric Barbarella" was not a commercial hit and at the end of the day was a flop.  The song is a hit to me for the positive impact it has had on me and my musical memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment