Monday, November 1, 2010

Rockin' 80s Hits

I am an '80s girl.  I am an '80s music geek.  There are many to name, so let's hit the play button.

The Police.

An '80s classic.  Honestly, I don't know where to begin.  How about the 1983 release of Synchronicity, reaching #1 in the United Kingdom and United States (selling eight million+ copies in the U.S. alone).  Or totaling over 50 million sales worldwide thus making them one of the highest-earning bands.  Or ranking 70 out of Rolling Stone magazine's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Police).  I just don't know...but I will try.  I own three Police albums - The Best of, Every Breath You Take (The Classics), and Zenyatta Mondatta.  I have yet to find a song I don't like.  "Driven to Tears" is at the top.  As is "Walking On the Moon."  "Roxanne" is a must.  "Message in a Bottle" is always popular.  "Don't Stand So Close to Me" is a time honored Police classic...I don't even know where to end!  I, then, love The Police.

Simple Minds.

Without The Breakfast Club, there would be no "Don't You Forget About Me."  Without my giddy love for this song, I would not own The Best of Simple Minds.  Without this cd, I would not equally like "Alive and Kicking" and "Waterfront."  Without the '80s, there would be no Simple Minds.   

Genesis.

Under the wing of two separate and equally talented front men, Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins, I admit I prefer Phil Collins.  (I do like "Red Rain,"though!)  "Land of Confusion" (Genesis: Platinum Collection) is powerful and inspirational in lyrics.  "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" (Genesis: Platinum Collection) is just intense, in sound, vocals, guitar, and drums.  Genesis under both wings clearly made its mark on the 1980s.

Phil Collins.

As did the drums in "In the Air Tonight" (Face Value).  The lyrics are powerful and anxiously lead up to thee most incredible drum solo that will never be matched.  Even veteran drummer Roger Taylor, of Duran Duran, was impressed when expressing clear interest during a documentary about the making of Rio.  One phenomenal drummer to another is quite an honor.  As loud as I blast my iPod when "In the Air Tonight" comes into play, I always wonder what the drums sound like live.  Then again, if Roger Taylor's drums are blaring alongside the others of Duran Duran, perhaps I don't want to know about this one.

Madonna.

I would be in strong error if I did not include this '80s female icon.  "She pushed the boundaries of lyrical content in mainstream popular music and imagery. . .Madonna's look and manner of dressing, her performance and her music videos started influencing young girls and women" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_(entertainer) ).  "Vogue" and "Like a Virgin" (top of the charts worldwide and #1 album on Billboard 200 on release in 1984) (Id.), of course, are at the top of a long list that simply cannot be written here.  Madonna defined female independence and unique feminism with emphasis on sex.  She was an instant classic in the '80s and has remained at the top since.  Her "4 Minutes" will never count down.

Journey.

A personal favorite worth mentioning.  Known for such American classics as "Don't Stop Believin" (Escape) with a powerful guitar solo at the start and therefore setting the tone, my preference always is "Lights" (Journey: Greatest Hits) - a sweet reminisce about home.  America is indeed lucky to have this San Francisco, California home-based band with produced hits straight out of the 1980s.  When Journey split in the mid-1980s, fans did "wonder Who's Crying Now."

Wang Chung.

A must on my list of 1980s favorites for the sole reason that they are just too much fun!  "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" (Everybody Wang Chung - Wang Chung's Greatest Hits) defined a decade of glam and fun.  I love Wang Chung.

I love the 1980s.  I love all classics, listed here and far beyond, with strong ties to "my decade."  The year 1983 was a good one.  The entire decade was a phenomenal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment