Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Reach Up For the Sunrise

 
Image result for astronaut duran duran album cover image
2004
 
I was ten years old when I first heard of Duran Duran.  My musical interests may have changed since 1993.  I came to love smooth jazz, alternative, classic rock, iconic American bands, and so many more.
 
I was 21 years old when Astronaut was released.  When I first heard "Reach Up For the Sunrise" and the overwhelming excitement of the original lineup reuniting, my feelings from so long ago came rushing back.  I had to hear more.  I really wanted the album - now on CD.
 
My grandmother asked me what I wanted for my birthday in 2005.  I was too embarrassed to say Astronaut by Duran Duran - I just didn't think she would appreciate my interest.  She laughed and said of course she would buy me a CD.  I was in shock.
 
On my birthday, I happily sang along to...
 


 
 
"Ordinary World" … The Wedding Album
 
"Reach Up For the  Sunrise" … Astronaut
 
My collection is officially growing, from albums to posters to sentimental memorabilia.
 
Last thought -
 
I will forever prefer "Ordinary World" recorded.  I will always prefer "Reach Up For the Sunrise" recorded because of Roger Taylor's drums.  If you were to listen to him perform the song live and recorded, there is a difference in tone and musical energy.  As performed live, I feel that he is playing for the audience.  As performed recorded, I feel that he is playing for the song.  Just a thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment