Saturday, April 27, 2019

British Music Icons Ahead of My Time - Duran Duran

Duran Duran - The Wedding Album - Cover.jpg


I am guessing you are wondering why I am including Duran Duran in the British Music Icons Ahead of My Time series.  An excellent guess.

Duran Duran's debut album - Duran Duran - was released in 1981.  The first single - "Planet Earth" - reached No. 12 on the UK's Top 20.  Duran Duran's second album - Rio - set the stage for international fame with the songs, "My Own Way," "Hungry Like the Wolf," "Save a Prayer," and "Rio."  The band became known as "the Fab Five" (where of course The Beatles were "the Fab Four").  (Source - Wikipedia)

When Nick Rhodes and John Taylor formed Duran Duran in 1978, they played in nightclubs.  When the original line-up came to be and recording sessions turned to successfully released albums, the public caught notice (including Princess Diana).  When the public became fans and saw true potential in Duran Duran's future, they simply grew up with the band because all were relatively the same age.  These fans are one generation ahead of me.  

I became a fan with the leaked release of "Ordinary World" in 1993, but began my Duran Duran collection with Astronaut.  My first ever concert was during the Red Carpet Massacre tour.  Fans in my generation are established.

With every new album and live performance, generations after me are catching notice.

One generation before me were once intensely excited when seeing Duran Duran live.  Generations after me may feel the same.  I just sing along.

When the original line-up reunited for Astronaut, Roger Taylor felt that the band would go on for a long time.  Although Andy Taylor is no longer with Duran Duran, the original four, like The Rolling Stones, never age and will most likely go on for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment