Sunday, April 28, 2019

Set List Sunday Favorite - The Who

In this edition of Set List Sunday Favorite, I am featuring The Who from the post, British Music Icons Ahead of My Time - The Who.  I specifically want to feature "My Generation" as the underlying theme from the British Music Icons Ahead of My Time series.


"My Generation" 
- Released in 1965 on The Who's 1965 debut album, My Generation
- No. 2 in the UK
- UK Silver Certification (250,000 sales)
- No. 74 in the U.S. 
- No. 11 on Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- No. 13 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Rock & Roll
- No. 37 on VH1's Greatest Hard Rock Song (2009)
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll
- Inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame for "historical, artistic and 
significant" value

"My Generation" 
- "encapsulated the angst of being a teenager"
- "...very much about trying to find a place in society"

(Source - Wikipedia)

My take away -
I find the quotes to be true of every generation - finding a place in society at an awkward time in life.  Where "My Generation" reflected the 1960s - a unique and unprecedented time in pop culture - my own generation has witnessed unprecedented American culture from the 1980s to the present.  Generations after me will experience the same.  "My Generation" is profound in musical message that will last always.


No comments:

Post a Comment